[PLUG] Ubuntu Mate Update Weirdness

Dick Steffens dick at dicksteffens.com
Wed Feb 28 15:26:21 UTC 2018

On 02/27/2018 10:42 PM, Ben Koenig wrote:
> Since we don't know which file is the problem, we need to get rid of all of
> them. There is no harm in keeping them just in case, so create a clean
> folder in your home dir, and move everything you see in /var/cache/apt/ to
> that folder. Make sure you leave the 'apt' folder there, because it
> probably won't recreate it.
>

> But based on the errors you provided, it looks like its failing on a very
> specific package. It seems unusually upset about virtualbox. Clear out
> /var/cache/apt since that may be the problem, and if it fails after then we
> may need to take a closer look at your install of virtualbox.

I created a copy of /var/cache/apt in my home directory and then deleted
the contents of /var/cache/apt. I ran sudo apt-get update and got the
same results as before, the two offenders being virtualbox and google
earth.

I finally recall that in order to have USB support in virtualbox I had
to use the one from Oracle. I've been getting a notice that a new
version is available, but I haven't done anything about it yet. To do
the initial install I used
virtualbox-5.1_5.1.22-115126~Ubuntu~xenial_amd64.deb. Does that put
itself into apt? Do I need to do something so apt doesn't see it
anymore? I tried sudo apt-mark hold virtualbox. That did what it said it
would do, but didn't affect the result of sudo apt-get update.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens