[PLUG] Ubuntu Mate Update Weirdness

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Feb 28 19:41:31 UTC 2018

On Wed, 28 Feb 2018, Rigel Hope wrote:

> For GE, it looks like the Desktop version is "Pro" now, and the standard
> version is a chrome app. For the Pro download there is a new ToS agreement
> dated Jan 31 of this year. That might be part of your issue?

   Yes, it's not called google-earth pro. Also, google-earth does not change
the visible version number when they upgrade, only internally. They're all
called google-earth-stable_current_<build_id>.deb. This makes any md5 check
of the download fail if the md5sum has not also been updated. On Slackware
I've learned to ignore the md5 check because it's always out of date.

   John, unless you're wedded to virtualbox you might want to look at qemu
instead. I learned the latter is less difficult to figure out.