[PLUG] Serial communication with dmm

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Sun Jan 7 19:37:49 UTC 2018

Do you mean you are seeing data values from the DMM? If so, does the same
software work with the USB-serial cable? You might need to modify the code
to use /dev/ttyUSB0 instead of /dev/ttyS0.

On Jan 7, 2018 10:04 AM, "Denis Heidtmann" <denis.heidtmann at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 1, 2018 at 11:46 AM, Denis Heidtmann <
> denis.heidtmann at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I am looking into ways to examine the serial traffic to/from my dmm.

<snip>

I found a python script intended to interface with the mas-345:
https://github.com/markrages/py_test_interface
https://github.com/markrages/py_test_interface/blob/master/mas345.py

I gave it a try on my desktop (which has a serial port).  To get it to run
I changed a couple of parameters and commented out one that was generating
a no-such-parameter error.  Then I put it into debug mode so I could see
the traffic from the meter.  The good news is it appears that the meter
does report values as the documented protocol indicates.  How the
communication is done is buried in the "serial" Python module. Someone who
understands Python could learn from this; I cannot.

-Denis