[PLUG] A logwatch question

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Jan 22 14:06:38 UTC 2018

   I've had logwatch running here for a couple of decades and it's always
stuck a fortune item at the end, just after the partition use report.

   Friday I upgraded the kernel from 4.4.88 to 4.4.111 which has the patches
for the hardware vulnerabilities so far released. Since then the fortune is
not included at the end of each morning's report.

   There's nothing in /etc/logwatch/conf/logwatch.conf about this (only the
command to mail the results), and I see nothing in the man page that looks
relevant.

   Sometimes the fortune is amusing, interesting, or informative; other times
it's a shrug. While I don't pay close attention to it I cannot recall seeing
the same fortune repeated (and I've not looked at the file, anyway).

   My question is what controls the fortune in the logwatch report because
I've become used to seeing it there and would like to restore it. Not that
it's essential, of course. I also cannot understand how this latest kernel
upgrade affected the logwatch reports since other upgrades from the 2.0.x
series did not do so.