[PLUG] SCSI device driver

King Beowulf kingbeowulf at gmail.com
Sun Jan 28 21:25:45 UTC 2018

On 01/28/2018 10:15 AM, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Jan 2018 01:16:24 -0800
> King Beowulf <kingbeowulf at gmail.com> dijo:

> The program is MakeMKV. Older versions still work, but MakeMKV (not
> open source, not free) provides aacss keys for Blu-ray media, whch
> are constantly changing, so I need the latest verson.
>
> There has been an extensive discussion of this problem on their forums:
> http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16939&start=60

 ah. interesting.

> n>/kernel/drivers/scsi/ but this will only
>> (exist) load if
>> (1) Kernel was compiled with scsi support
>> (2) kernel/udev detects a scsi device, which you don't seem to have.
>
> As far as I know I hae no SCSI devices, yet:

I'm a bit rusty, but SATA are considered "virtual" scsi drives internal.
 all the scsi tools can access drive as /dev/srX as well as /dev/sgX so
the sg module is not really needed.

>> you won't find sg.ko in synaptic, etc, as it is part of the kernel
>> package.
>
> I did find what claimed to be an sg driver, but insmod pukes it up.

>> modinfo sg
>> filename:       /lib/modules/4.4.111/kernel/drivers/scsi/sg.ko
>
> $ modinfo sg
> modinfo: ERROR: Module sg not found.

I think that in your distro sg might be compiled into the kernel (hence
no sg.ko) - that is why udev creates device nodes /dev/sgX.  Now you
just have to associate /dev/sgX with the appropriate /dev/srX

> # lsmod |grep sg
> # modprobe sg
> # lsmod |grep sg
> #
>
> I can't get the same results as you. It appears that the commands are
> working because there are no error messages, but apparently not.

sg is built in so the commands ship it as it is already loaded (lsmod
does not show internal compiled modules).

"lsscsi -g" (with or without sudo, 'sg_map' is the older style command
to show mapping) will show a "-" or "/dev/sgX" if sg was mapped to your
drive.  It does on mine, and happens automagically when I 'modprobe sg"
(which you can't do since it is built in).  I can't test, since I do not
have any encrypted BD disks.

if you have scsitools package, check for a 'scsidev' program. Much of
the documenation talks about sg in the 2.4 and 2.6 kernel, and we are
long past that code.

Given what I understand from the forum thead unless you get the output,
for example:

# lsscsi -g
[0:0:0:0]    cd/dvd  HL-DT-ST BD-RE  WH16NS40  1.00  /dev/sr0   /dev/sg0
or

# sg_map
/dev/sg0  /dev/sr0

MakeMKV will never find /dev/sg0 since it doesn't point anywhere.
Perhaps scsidev or checking on udev rules might provide a clue. OR,
replace you'r kernel with one where all device drives are external
modules so that "modeprobe sg" works and undev (?) will then create both
nodes and mappings.

I've now waded out a bit far and don't swim as well as I used to...

Or, go another route.  If MakeDVD devs are cranky about user support:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Blu-ray

Personally, I don't buy BD or even DVDs anymore.  I got tired of the
encryption crap and hostility to F/OSS.

-Ed

-Ed