[PLUG] SCSI device driver

John Jason Jordan johnxj at gmx.com
Tue Jan 30 05:32:11 UTC 2018

On Mon, 29 Jan 2018 19:55:45 -0800
King Beowulf <kingbeowulf at gmail.com> dijo:

>On 01/29/2018 02:22 AM, Tomas Kuchta wrote:
>> Pretty old distro/kernel. For what is worth it - I do not have the
>> same problem with 16.04.
>>
>> Anyway, how about creating soft link pointing to /dev/sr?. Did you
>> try that?

>IIRC, /dev/sg* are character devices, /dev/sr* are block devices, and
>you can't just link them together with 'ln'
>
>lsscsi -g  should list the connection of block to scsi char device if
>the sg module is loaded correctly and udev creates the dev nodes
>
>I did read somewhere that ubuntu dropped sg as "unused".  Since others
>here have said that newer Ubuntu kernels have sg and it works.  Perhaps
>an upgrade is the best fix.

For now I have shelved the idea of a symlink.

Here is what I get from lsscsi -g:
$ lsscsi -g
[2:0:0:0]    cd/dvd  hp  BD MLT UJ260AF FW06  /dev/sr0    /dev/sg0
[4:0:0:0]    disk   ATA Crucial_CT480M50 MU03  /dev/sda   /dev/sg1
[6:0:0:0]    disk   H/W RAID 0   0106  /dev/sdb   /dev/sg3
[7:0:0:0]    cd/dvd HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GU90N 1.00  /dev/sr1   /dev/sg2
[8:0:0:0]    disk  PNY  USB 3.0 FD  1.00  /dev/sdc   /dev/sg4
[9:0:0:0]    disk  LG   USB Drive 1100  /dev/sdd   /dev/sg5

Tomas mentioned previously that he had no problem with MakeMKV on
Ubuntu 16.04. I assume he meant the latest version 1.10.10, because I
can still run 1.10.8 on Ubuntu 14.04. The only reason I need the latest
version is because it has recently released aacs keys. Not only does
this affect only a few very recently released Blu-rays, but there is a
workaround. I can use dd (although I prefer ddrescue) to make an .iso
of the disk, and MakeMKV 1.10.10 can use that, thus not needing access
to the optical drive at all. It's a clunky workaround, but it works.

I should mention in passing that, while not open source, the Linux
version of MakeMKV is free, although you get some extras if you pay for
it. And dumphd is a FOSS program with similar functionality, although I
could never get it to work. If anyone wishes to play around with these
things you can do so with no cost except your time. Oh, that is,
assuming you have a Blu-ray drive for your computer.

As I write this there are 68 comments in the thread about this on the
MakeMKV Linux forum, including several by the admin asking for input
from users. The problem is being worked on, so I'm going to sit back
and wait.