[PLUG] SCSI device driver

Jason Bergstrom bergie at bergie.net
Tue Jan 30 05:42:00 UTC 2018

On Mon, Jan 29, 2018 at 09:32:11PM -0800, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> For now I have shelved the idea of a symlink.
>
> Here is what I get from lsscsi -g:
> $ lsscsi -g
> [2:0:0:0]    cd/dvd  hp  BD MLT UJ260AF FW06  /dev/sr0    /dev/sg0
> [4:0:0:0]    disk   ATA Crucial_CT480M50 MU03  /dev/sda   /dev/sg1
> [6:0:0:0]    disk   H/W RAID 0   0106  /dev/sdb   /dev/sg3
> [7:0:0:0]    cd/dvd HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GU90N 1.00  /dev/sr1   /dev/sg2
> [8:0:0:0]    disk  PNY  USB 3.0 FD  1.00  /dev/sdc   /dev/sg4
> [9:0:0:0]    disk  LG   USB Drive 1100  /dev/sdd   /dev/sg5
>
> Tomas mentioned previously that he had no problem with MakeMKV on
> Ubuntu 16.04. I assume he meant the latest version 1.10.10, because I
> can still run 1.10.8 on Ubuntu 14.04. The only reason I need the latest
> version is because it has recently released aacs keys. Not only does
> this affect only a few very recently released Blu-rays, but there is a
> workaround. I can use dd (although I prefer ddrescue) to make an .iso
> of the disk, and MakeMKV 1.10.10 can use that, thus not needing access
> to the optical drive at all. It's a clunky workaround, but it works.
>
> I should mention in passing that, while not open source, the Linux
> version of MakeMKV is free, although you get some extras if you pay for
> it. And dumphd is a FOSS program with similar functionality, although I
> could never get it to work. If anyone wishes to play around with these
> things you can do so with no cost except your time. Oh, that is,
> assuming you have a Blu-ray drive for your computer.
>
> As I write this there are 68 comments in the thread about this on the
> MakeMKV Linux forum, including several by the admin asking for input
> from users. The problem is being worked on, so I'm going to sit back
> and wait.

Like Tomas, I have MakeMKV 1.10.10 from the PPA listed in the forum
thread installed, and it works fine on 16.04. The device it is looking
for is /dev/sr0, a bluray drive.

The /dev/sgX devices move around with every boot, and I haven't yet
found the udev rule that will pin them in place. I actually have a
need to access /dev/sgX, as it supports tape library control with
Bacula.

Jason,
bergie at bergie.net