[PLUG] SSD drives (Was: Re: Another Seagate drive died)

John Jason Jordan johnxj at gmx.com
Wed Jan 31 23:12:45 UTC 2018

On Wed, 31 Jan 2018 12:03:32 -0800
"John Bartley K7AAY john at 503bartley.com" <john.bartley at gmail.com> dijo:

>Kingston SSDs did not last as long as the Samsung Pro (Pro, not Evo)
>series SSDs in my sojurn at the Jones Farm SSD testing lab. I
>therefore prefer the Samsung Pro SSDs.

Before reading the above I had already sort of decided on a Samsung
Pro (not EVO). The Pro have a ten year warranty, where their others
have a five year warranty. That's the longest warranty I could find for
any drive, SSD or otherwise. Interestingly, Samsung currently offers an
850 Pro and an 860 Pro for a bit higher price. I looked everywhere for
what the difference was and finally called Samsung to find out why:

Me: What is the difference between the 850 Pro and the 860 Pro?
Samsung guy: The 860 has better endurance and will last longer.
Me: OK, what is the warranty on the 860 Pro?
Samsung guy: Five years.
Me: That makes no sense. The 850 has a ten year warranty, so if the 860
	will last longer it should be at least ten years also.
Samsung guy: Samsung made the decision to go back to five years on all
	new SSD products.
Me: Then the decision is made. Warranty is more important to me than
	performance, so I'll get the 850 Pro.

I might add that I had already ordered a 2TB 850 Pro to replace the
dead Seagate in my laptop, also because of the ten year warranty.
According to tracking it may be delivered today.

>There are 2.5" to 3.5" adapter sleds available at Fry's, but velcro is
>also a proven mounting method which does not require a trip to
>Wilsonville.

I think I may even have a couple of those sleds somewhere around the
house. But I'm going to get a new case for the computer that I'm going
to build, so having a 2.5" bay is something to look for. And Wes
already answered my question about the connectors, so I'm off to find
a cheap price on a 1TB 850 Pro.