[PLUG] When {[right question] >= (useful answer)} ?

wes plug at the-wes.com
Tue Jul 3 19:54:43 UTC 2018

On Tue, Jul 3, 2018 at 12:39 PM, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, 3 Jul 2018, wes wrote:
>
> All partitions are automatically readable/writable by all by default. One
>> would have to take extraordinary measures to restrict access to a
>> partition.
>>

> Wes,
>
>   Not always, at least on Slackware. Partitions are owned by root.root and
> while /tmp always retains 777 perms, /opt doesn't for some reason. So, as
> root, I run 'chmod 777 /opt' and that fixes access for all.

Filesystems have permissions, partitions don't. Files and directories have
owners, partitions don't.

/tmp and /opt are filesystem locations. They may or may not have partitions
mounted to them. Regardless, the chmod command affects the directory
entries on the filesystem, not the partitions.

The currently-running OS may restrict its "unprivileged user" from
accessing the hardware directly. That's not the partition's fault.

-wes