[PLUG] Problems installing MariaDB

Thomas Groman tgrom.automail at nuegia.net
Tue Jul 3 18:07:29 UTC 2018

On Fri, 29 Jun 2018 11:36:26 -0500
Richard Owlett <rowlett at cloud85.net> wrote:

> I have not used a relational database since dBASEII was current.
> About a year ago I attempted to install MariaDB but didn't find a
> tutorial which was a close enough match to my system.
>
> I use Debian 9 with MATE.
>
> I found:
>     https://www.tecmint.com/install-mariadb-in-debian/
>     https://www.linode.com/docs/databases/mariadb/mariadb-setup-debian/
>
> Using the official Debian repository:
>     apt-get install software-properties-common
>     apt-get install mariadb-server mariadb-client
>
> There seemed to be no problems.
>
> *BUT* both references auto-magically go to a GUI setup screen.
>
> It was suggested in another forum that I (as root) do:
>     dpkg-reconfigure debconf
>     dpkg-reconfigure mariadb-server
>
> The first appeared to run.
> The second did nothing. No warnings. No error messages. Just returned
> to prompt.
>
> Ideas.
> TIA

When installing MariaDB SQL server on Debian you actually have to run a
setup script to get a production ready system you can actually connect
to and start using. After installing mariadb-server from APT you need
to run a script as root called mysql_secure_installation. It should ask
you some basic questions like what should the root login be, delete test
database, and deny anonymous remote logins. after you do that just run
the client, mysql and starting sending your SQL commands. If you need a
good resource on SQL commands W3schools has a really good desk
reference at https://www.w3schools.com/sql/ . If you plan on using this
beyond just playing around with it be sure to setup an actual login for
you SQL server. Running as root is typically a bad practice.