[PLUG] Kicad help needed

Paul Mullen pm at nellump.net
Tue Jul 10 20:45:43 UTC 2018

On Sun, Jul 08, 2018 at 04:29:45PM -0700, Denis Heidtmann wrote:
> The principal problem is that I want to modify two of the footprints
> and save them to a local library.  I have read many discussions
> related to this issue, but I have not been able to duplicate the
> suggestions.   I have not been able to create a local library.

KiCad's interface can be very confusing.  (That doesn't distinguish it
from other EDA tools, unfortunately.)  I've found it's easiest to open
the footprint you wish to modify in the Footprint Editor tool, make
your desired changes, and then export to a new file
(File->Export->Footprint menu, or the associated toolbar button).
When you quit the Footprint Editor tool it will compain about unsaved
changes.  Quit without saving; your changes have already been exported
to the new file.  You will need to add the new footprint to your PCB
design before it can be used.

--
Paul Mullen