[PLUG] Frontier FiOS Installation

Jim Garrison jhg at jhmg.net
Fri Jul 20 21:14:46 UTC 2018

On 7/20/2018 1:23 PM, Russell Johnson wrote:
> I've had FiOS since before Verizon sold them. They set mine up slightly differently.
>
> The OTN converts to coax, and that is converted to ethernet with a transceiver inside the house. That transceiver has a very small amount of memory. If you have a larger than average number of devices for a household, the NAT table will overrun its buffer, causing the transceiver to fail. Rebooting brings it back, until the buffer fills again.
>
> My fix was to put the transceiver in passthrough and use a router between it and rest of my network. This works, but I have an extra device and an extra translation of the signal.
>
> Oh, and Verizon/Frontier support, both of them, told me the transceiver could not be put in passthrough mode.

Yeah, I don't have a transciever, I get a routable 50.x.x.x IP address
directly off the ethernet cable, no NAT involved.  Without the consumer-
grade modem/router I'm not vulnerable to the exploits currently
affecting a lot of such hardware/firmware.  I trust my Linux/iptables
firewall/router a lot more :-)