[PLUG] Filesystem problems with new USB drive

Ben Koenig techkoenig at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 21:48:39 UTC 2018

 John,

1 of 2 things is going wrong here.

The first is that these USB drives are broken/poorly designed. You can test
this by using a completely different computer and/or OS to do the format.

The second is that your computer is failing to format them properly.
mkfs.ext2 and mkfs.ext4 are actually front ends to completely different
filesystem tools, so maybe something is screwy with your install?
Test this one by using your computer to format a completely different USB
drive. Give your computer a thumbdrive pop quiz, pass/fail.

I'm more inclined to say that your USB drives are cheap pieces of crap, but
lately Ubuntu has been a cheap piece of crap too. Who knows?
What is the model# of these chinese usb drives from ebay? It almost sounds
like they have some stupid firmware on them that could be a problem.