[PLUG] Changing tmpfs mount point

wes plug at the-wes.com
Wed Jul 25 23:55:24 UTC 2018

On Wed, Jul 25, 2018 at 3:40 PM, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Jul 2018, Rich Shepard wrote:
>
>  So, can I do this to correct tmpfs?
>>
>> #  mount --bind tmpfs /dev/shm
>>
>> and not need to reboot?
>>

>   Here's where I learned about tmpfs and bind mounts:
>
> <https://hosam.wordpress.com/2011/02/08/tmpfs-and-bind-mounts/>
>

> Rich

As you say, tmpfs is a (sort-of) filesystem. It can be used on multiple
mount points. You don't "mount" tmpfs directly any more than you would ext3
or vfat. You can mount storage volumes formatted with those filesystems.

/dev/shm is a device node used to access shared memory.

/tmp can use tmpfs, or not use it.

It is weird that fstab shows two entries for the same mount point (/tmp).
However that in itself doesn't break anything.

If you want to try each one individually, you can sudo umount /tmp, then
check mount to see if the other one still shows up, and issue a second
umount /tmp. Then mount -t tmpfs /tmp and see what happens.

So my conclusion based on the info provided is that you don't need to
change anything, and the problem with Chromium crashing is more likely
somewhere else.

What sort of crash are you seeing? Do you get any errors? Have you tried
running Chromium from a terminal, to see if there is any interesting
console output?

-wes