[PLUG] Changing tmpfs mount point

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Jul 26 00:01:27 UTC 2018

On Wed, 25 Jul 2018, wes wrote:

> It is weird that fstab shows two entries for the same mount point (/tmp).
> However that in itself doesn't break anything.

Wes,

   That's because tmpfs was mis-mounted.

> If you want to try each one individually, you can sudo umount /tmp, then
> check mount to see if the other one still shows up, and issue a second
> umount /tmp. Then mount -t tmpfs /tmp and see what happens.

   What I want to do is 'umount tmpfs', the 'mount tmpfs /dev/shm'

> So my conclusion based on the info provided is that you don't need to
> change anything, and the problem with Chromium crashing is more likely
> somewhere else.

   No, the issue was first reported in 2015. Same problem because tmpfs was
not mounted on /dev/shm

> What sort of crash are you seeing? Do you get any errors? Have you tried
> running Chromium from a terminal, to see if there is any interesting
> console output?

   Both chromium and opera open and immediately shut down. The error is seen
when starting chromium on a console.

   If I correctly understand what you've written, I can umount and re-mount
tmpfs without breaking anything. Correct?

Thanks,