[PLUG] IP address for a virtual machine?

wes plug at the-wes.com
Fri Jul 27 23:21:38 UTC 2018

On Fri, Jul 27, 2018 at 4:05 PM, John Jason Jordan <johnxj at gmx.com> wrote:

>    Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.2.15(Preferred) Subnet

This indicates that the IP address was assigned to the VM guest by the VM
host software. Your router was not involved in that transaction.

> >What happens when you try to access your HDHomeRun tuner from the
> >Windows VM guest?
>
> It works just fine until I try to play TV. Then the player app
> announces: "Unable to play channel, all tuners in use." But the setup
> and config utilities see it fine and can successfully scan for
> channels. It's just the player app that can't find it, and my guess is
> that it is because Windows is not on the right network.

It's possible the HDHomeRun uses a streaming tech that is not friendly with
NAT. If it was designed exclusively for home use, that may well be the
case. I think Tomas' suggestion of altering your VM config to use a bridged
network instead of NAT is more likely to help.

At which point, the DHCP reservation you set up in your router will become
effective.

-wes