[PLUG] eCommerce Special Deals

Michael Barnes barnmichael at gmail.com
Sun Jul 29 03:38:46 UTC 2018

Not really specifically a Linux thing, but you are the best group of folks
I have access to.

Considering an online store, we have an issue of a special sale coming up
of a limited number of a product. We expect this item to be in high demand
and folks will be waiting in line to purchase. We would like to announce
the sale will start at Noon Pacific Time on the chosen date. We felt this
would give the most customers an even chance to purchase as opposed to
starting at some seemingly random time.

First, does this seem like a logical concept? Our webmaster claims it is
not doable with our current software. He says he can only have the sale
start at midnight, but he is unable to determine what time zone that
particular midnight is, whether it is our Pacific time or whatever time
zone the host server happens to be in (which we do not actually know). He
also claims no known ecommerce software allows this and nobody who does on
line sales would do such a thing.

I would guess it is not unlike buying tickets to a movie on line and
waiting until they go on sale to purchase and there only being a small
number available.

As always, your wisdom and comments are appreciated.

Michael