[PLUG] Resolved: Program installed but not showing up in Ubuntu MATE 18.04 menu

Dick Steffens dick at dicksteffens.com
Tue Jul 31 18:28:35 UTC 2018

On 07/31/2018 11:10 AM, Dick Steffens wrote:
> I just downloaded and installed
> virtualbox-5.2_5.2.16-123759~Ubuntu~bionic_amd64.deb using the GDebi
> Package Installer on my Ubuntu MATE 18.04 machine. The package
> installer indicates that the program was installed, but there's no
> entry for it in the Ubuntu MATE menu. A search in that menu for
> VirtualBoxVM returns empty. How do I find out where it was installed?
> And, how do I get it into the menu? I suppose I don't really need it
> in the menu if I can put a launch icon in the panel.

One of the changes in Ubuntu MATE 18.04 is that the entries in the menu
bar were reduced to a single Menu. I found a video that pointed out how
to use MATE Tweak to return to the Traditional panel layout, which has
Applications, Places, and System. Once I did that I was able to find
VirtualBox in the Applications > System Tools menu. Why it wasn't in the
menu of the "Familiar" layout, I don't know. (Familiar is the name of
the default panel layout.)

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens