[PLUG] Experiences with USB "null modem" cables.

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Fri Jun 1 09:44:37 UTC 2018

2 of these:
https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-1000-Gigabit-Ethernet-Adapter/dp/B00M77HMU0/
1 of these:
https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-RJ45-Cat-6-Ethernet-Patch-Cable-3-Feet-0-9-Meters/dp/B00N2VISLW/

or, if you really want pain and slow file transfers:

2 of these:
https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Converter-Prolific-Chipset-CB-DB9P/dp/B00IDSM6BW/
1 of these:
https://www.amazon.com/female-slimline-transfer-serial-adapter/dp/B075XGRLXW/

or, cheaper still:

https://www.amazon.com/Sumind-Raspberry-Programming-Windows-Supported/dp/B01N4X3BJB/
and some jumper wires to do the crossover.

Any of those three options will give you a usb-to-usb link.  Doing file
transfers over serial, I'm afraid to guess how you plan to do that.
Obviously, there are tools to do it, because it was what you had to do
before they invented ethernet.  You could probably run ppp on the serial
port and even get a network link over it.  Or just use xmodem, kermit or
something similar.  Oh, and buy some bamboo splinters to stuff under your
fingernails at the same time, you masochist!