[PLUG] Microsoft github?

Daniel Bolduc dan at computatrumdesign.com
Mon Jun 4 03:26:57 UTC 2018

It does appear to be true. It's even mentioned on their wikipedia page now.

It was either an acquisition like this or go public soon, I would imagine.

Like it or not, Microsoft is all in on open sourcing their own products
(see .net core, powershell core, etc) and extensively using and
contributing to open source projects and implementing them into their
services (i.e. Azure). They no longer view closed source software licenses
as their primary / future source of revenue (except for their Office
suite), so this behavior does not conflict with their business interests.
Microsoft internally abandoned their own proprietary source control
products in favor of Git years ago and encourages their customers to do the
same. I have heard them say this myself.

This is not intended as a defense of Microsoft in any way, just a factual
explanation of their current position as a company on open source. Whether
you find these changes to be positive or threatening in nature, I leave up
to you....

- Dan