[PLUG] Memory questions

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Jun 6 23:36:27 UTC 2018

On Wed, 6 Jun 2018, Jim Garrison wrote:

> Each would likely work separately but you'd lose the dual-channel speed
> boost by installing only one. It depends on which motherboard you're
> using.

Jim,

   Currently, the two 4G modules are in slots A2 and B2. The motherboard is
an Asus Sabertooth 990FX.

> Yes, I've done this several times. Again, check your motherboard specs,
> but modern memory controllers are pretty good at figuring out what you
> have installed and using it, as long as the timings are acceptable.

   While on the newegg.com web site I had a brief chat with a tech from
G.Skill. He said that combining a pair of 8G modules and a pair of 4G
modules might, or might not, work. Only trying would find out. So, rather
than risk wasting a lot of money on modules that would not work (either
way), I bought another pair of 4G modules of the same specs. A total of 16G
RAM should greatly speed up processing of huge spatial and numerical data
files compared with the 4G in my old 32-bit system.

Thanks,