[PLUG] Ubuntu MATE 16.04 Update Failure

Dick Steffens dick at dicksteffens.com
Fri Jun 8 14:49:09 UTC 2018

On 06/08/2018 07:25 AM, Dick Steffens wrote:
> I'm getting an error message when using "Software Updater"
>
> I am presented with a long list of updates. I click "Install Now",
> type in my password when asked to authenticate, and then get a message
> that says, "Requires installation of untrusted packages. This requires
> installing packages from unauthenticated sources." I have two options,
> "Settings..." and "Okay". When I click "OK" the window closes and
> nothing else happens. When I click "Settings...", there's no obvious
> thing to change. It doesn't tell me which packages are from untrusted
> sources, so I can't skip those packages, or tell it to go ahead and
> install them anyway.
>
> I tried the solution found at:
>
> https://askubuntu.com/questions/635037/software-updater-warning-requires-installation-of-untrusted-packages?utm_medium=organic&utm_source=google_rich_qa&utm_campaign=google_rich_qa
>

> It let the "Software Updater" process run most of the way, but then
> said, "Package operation failed. The installation or removal of a
> software package failed." And again the options are "Settings" and
> "OK" but no indication of which package raised the complaint. I
> clicked on "Settings" and clicked through each of the tabs. When I
> closed that window the "Software Updater" window returned with the
> same long list. I clicked "Install Now", authenticated it, and it
> failed again.
>
> Any recommendations on how to figure out which package is causing the
> problem?
>
> Thanks.

A few minutes later I got a message to the effect that there was some
kind of system problem, did I want to report it? I said yes. It came
back and said it couldn't be reported because it wasn't an official
Ubuntu something or other. Then it said to remove all third party
whats-its. It would seem to me that if it knows what's causing the
problem, it could say what it is, or maybe direct me to the right log. Sigh.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens