[PLUG] Ubuntu MATE 16.04 Update Failure

Ben Koenig techkoenig at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 15:05:56 UTC 2018

The only logging for this error is in the update command itself. When
'apt-get update' runs it does a quick network check for all registered
repositories, official and unofficial. The error you are looking for is
located in the output of apt-get update.

This output goes straight to terminal, or for GUI update apps you often
have a little dropdown arrow that says "show more".  If you want, you can
do the following:

- Run 'sudo apt-get update' from a terminal
- Wait for it to run, it will dump a bunch of messages to the screen
- When it completes, post the output of this command on this mailing list.

There are a number of people on this list who can identify any errors in
the above command and point you to the suspect package. Unfortunately this
particular command dumps a huge amount of trivial information to the screen
and (to the best of my memory) does not log any of it.

I would not be surprised if there is something that says "ERROR" or
"FAILED" when apt-get update runs. The graphical tool gives access to this
info as well, but I don't know exactly where.