[PLUG] Ubuntu MATE 16.04 Update Failure

John Jason Jordan johnxj at gmx.com
Fri Jun 8 08:13:11 PDT 2018

On Fri, 8 Jun 2018 07:49:09 -0700
Dick Steffens <dick at dicksteffens.com> dijo:

>A few minutes later I got a message to the effect that there was some
>kind of system problem, did I want to report it? I said yes. It came
>back and said it couldn't be reported because it wasn't an official
>Ubuntu something or other. Then it said to remove all third party
>whats-its. It would seem to me that if it knows what's causing the
>problem, it could say what it is, or maybe direct me to the right log.
>Sigh.

The first thing I would try is Synaptic instead of Software Updater.
Set it to Sections and then Upgradable. This should give you a list of
what Ubuntu wants to update.

Failing that, at the command line try some of these:

sudo apt-get clean
	deletes the cache
sudo apt-get update
	fetches the list of available updates