[PLUG] Configuring Ubuntu Desktop for public users?

Ben Koenig techkoenig at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 17:55:11 UTC 2018

Free Geek uses various temp users internally for their workstations. It has
been a while since I worked there, but they also had an OEM user, which is
temporary for use when building the computers.

I'm pretty sure that MDM, the display manager in Mint has a Guest mode, you
may want to look into turning that on, since it allows for temporary users.
This will result in any data getting saved by the user to be automatically
wiped when they log off. Users in general also cannot write to directories
outside /home/$USER, so you don't have to worry about things like /var
filling up.

I would implement a guest user through the display manager. Usually this
just means activating it in the config file. You can then have password
protected Admin users that have sudo access. Avoid using Firefox alone to
set this, since there are a million ways to bypass the browser, giving the
user access to the rest of the filesystem.

There are a bunch of Linux kiosk projects, like the LinuxK-12 project that
Rich mentioned, but if you want to keep the OS installed by Free Geek,
there are a few configuration options that you can toggle for smaller
setups. If the organization is only planning 2 public stations, then a
diskless solution will be time consuming and expensive.

Keep in mind that any diskless thin client solutions will require a server
to host the OS.