[PLUG] WiFi not working. Ubuntu 16.04. Lenovo x200

Dick Steffens dick at dicksteffens.com
Thu Jun 14 23:15:34 UTC 2018

On 06/12/2018 10:28 PM, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Jun 2018, dick at dicksteffens.com wrote:
>
>> Yesterday, when we got to a hotel and I tried to fire up my x200 laptop,
>> all the WiFi connections showed up as "Out of Range." When I rebooted
>> all
>> returned to normal. Tonight, at another hotel, rebooting does not fix
>> the
>> problem. I'm able to use my wife's laptop without problem. Any
>> thoughts on
>> whether this is something I can dig into on the road, or is this
>> likely a
>> hardware problem?
>
> Dick,
>
>   Want a USB-connected external antenna?

Thanks for the offer, but I don't know if that will help.

Tonight's stop is old-school. There's an Ethernet cable in the room. I
spoke with our hardware guru. He thinks it's likely that the WiFi
hardware in the computer has failed. I told him that when I look at the
network administration tool, click on "On" for wireless, it jumps from
off to on and back again, and that all the listed WiFi connections are
"out of range." He knows Ubuntu, and that info is what led him to think
it's hardware. I'll take it to him when we get back.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens