[PLUG] Emacs macro slows with repeated use

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sun Jun 17 15:44:00 UTC 2018

   I understand that emacs macros run interactively. One macro I'm using
concatenates three lines into one line. Running it singly execution is
quick. With 1000+ lines in the file I run it in repeat mode after checking
it's working properly: C-u 20 C-x e

   At first this runs quickly, but it slows to a crawl after several uses.
When I then execute the macro singly there is now a delay before it
completes.

   My web searches confirm that long execution of a macro can take a while,
but I've not found an explanation of why execution takes longer and longer
with each iteration.

   Your thoughts?