[PLUG] [OT ? ?? ???] Linux and computer literacy

Richard Owlett rowlett at cloud85.net
Mon Jun 18 09:55:32 UTC 2018

On 06/18/2018 02:44 AM, Russell Senior wrote:

> Richard> For IDIOSYNCRATIC and weird local constraints I am working on
> Richard> networking *TWO* computers via a "USB MASTER-USB MASTER"
> Richard> cable. There are "cookbook"{sic/sick}" for "normal"(sic) users
> Richard> with ethernet.
>
> One important thing to bear in mind, no one here seems to know the
> answer to your question (perhaps because we don't really know what your
> question is). The right, free-open-source choice here is to face and
> slay the dragon yourself, and then report back.

Dragon not slain, wounded only.

> Selected Topics/Links
>
> USBNET
>
> http://www.linux-usb.org/usbnet/
> http://linux-hotplug.sourceforge.net/?selected=usb
> http://www.zeroconf.org/
>
> Some man pages
>
> https://manpages.debian.org/stable/usbutils/lsusb.8.en.html
> https://manpages.debian.org/stable/usbutils/usb-devices.1.en.html
> https://manpages.debian.org/stable/usbutils/usbhid-dump.8.en.html
> https://manpages.debian.org/stable/libusb2-dev/libusb.3.en.html
> https://manpages.debian.org/stable/openssh-client/ssh.1.en.html
> https://manpages.debian.org/stable/openssh-client/scp.1.en.html
> https://manpages.debian.org/stable/freebsd-ppp/ppp.8.en.html
> https://manpages.debian.org/stable/freebsd-manpages/ip.4freebsd.en.html
> https://manpages.debian.org/stable/iproute2/ip.8.en.html
> https://manpages.debian.org/stable/manpages/ip.7.en.html
>
> misc info
>
> https://www.castleproductshop.com/products/Plugable-Windows-Transfer-Cable-for-Windows-10-8-1-8-7-Vista-XP-Includes/588583685
> https://packages.debian.org/stable/usbutils
> https://sources.debian.org/patches/usbutils/1:007-4/01-update-usb-ids.diff/

> That said, consider the following questions as you begin your quest:
>
> You say "networking".  Can you define what you mean by that word?

A LAN with only two computers at a time.

> You say "USB Master-USB Master" cable.  Which one?

I didn't buy online but from local computer store.
This page describes what I bought.
https://www.castleproductshop.com/products/Plugable-Windows-Transfer-Cable-for-Windows-10-8-1-8-7-Vista-XP-Includes/588583685

> And, what is your goal in this "networking"?

It started as file sharing. I was using "sneaker net" with flash drives.
When I found that standard Linux can use utilities originally aimed at
Ethernet for this hardware, the purpose became educational.
Philosophically very similar to motivation of _Linux from Scratch_
without "compile, link, load", but targeting networks.