[PLUG] [OT ? ?? ???] Linux and computer literacy

Galen Seitz galens at seitzassoc.com
Mon Jun 18 17:58:27 UTC 2018

On 06/18/2018 02:55 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:
> On 06/18/2018 02:44 AM, Russell Senior wrote:
 >
>> That said, consider the following questions as you begin your quest:
>>
>> You say "networking".  Can you define what you mean by that word?
>
> A LAN with only two computers at a time.
>

>> You say "USB Master-USB Master" cable.  Which one?
>
> I didn't buy online but from local computer store.
> This page describes what I bought.
> https://www.castleproductshop.com/products/Plugable-Windows-Transfer-Cable-for-Windows-10-8-1-8-7-Vista-XP-Includes/588583685
>

>> And, what is your goal in this "networking"?
>>

> It started as file sharing. I was using "sneaker net" with flash drives.
> When I found that standard Linux can use utilities originally aimed at
> Ethernet for this hardware, the purpose became educational.
> Philosophically very similar to motivation of _Linux from Scratch_
> without "compile, link, load", but targeting networks.

I must say that I would find it highly amusing if it were discovered
that said "Transfer-Cable" were to contain two USB to Ethernet adapters
wired together.  That wart in the middle is certainly big enough for
that to be the case.

Please post the output from the lsusb command after connecting the cable.

galen
--
Galen Seitz
galens at seitzassoc.com