[PLUG] looking for secure space for a mail server

Louis Kowolowski louisk at cryptomonkeys.org
Mon Jun 18 19:41:38 UTC 2018

> On Jun 18, 2018, at 1:38 PM, Michael Rasmussen <michael at michaelsnet.us> wrote:
>
> To stress "As others have suggested, you may be able to use a VM" - at my final job before retirement (Large bank, Fortune 500, etc) everything possible was migrated to in-house VMs.
> I want to say mail services were an early migration. In any case, the entire mail infrastructure was run on virtual servers.
>
> There's no need for a physical server.

This is your opinion. We're not trying to determine if a VM is capable of running *a* mail server. We're trying to determine what the requirements of *his* mail server are, because that drives whether a physical server is required.

There may be a security requirement such as "no AES key leakage to other tenants". In this case, he may not be able to use a VM. There are people in the crypto community who believe that any system that needs secure crypto should not be virtualized.

Again, I'm trying to gather what the requirements are before stating what the solution is.

Louis Kowolowski                                louisk at cryptomonkeys.org
Cryptomonkeys:                                   http://www.cryptomonkeys.com/

Making life more interesting for people since 1977