[PLUG] [OT ? ?? ???] Linux and computer literacy

Richard Owlett rowlett at cloud85.net
Tue Jun 19 11:22:23 UTC 2018

On 06/18/2018 10:14 AM, Russell Senior wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 18, 2018 at 2:55 AM, Richard Owlett <rowlett at cloud85.net> wrote:
>[snip]
>>> You say "USB Master-USB Master" cable.  Which one?
>>>

>> I didn't buy online but from local computer store.
>> This page describes what I bought.
>> https://www.castleproductshop.com/products/Plugable-Windows-
>> Transfer-Cable-for-Windows-10-8-1-8-7-Vista-XP-Includes/588583685
>>

> The description says, in part:
>
> "Supported by Linux kernel 3.0 and later as a high-speed virtual network
> interface, no special file transfer support."
>
> That implies the cable should provide a network interface to both sides.
>
> What happens when you plug it in?  Look in dmesg (near the bottom right
> after you plug it in) and you should see something that implies a network
> interface has been created.

I found /usr/share/bash-completion/completions/dmesg dated last year.
It was not changed when I plugged or unplugged the cable.
HOWEVER, MATE's Network Icon never showed completion.
Am I looking in right place?

I did a similar exercise yesterday using "lsusb -t" and "lsusb -v"
The relevant extracts are:> With mouse connected, plugin left end of cable