[PLUG] [OT ? ?? ???] Linux and computer literacy

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Tue Jun 19 04:37:49 PDT 2018

On Tue, Jun 19, 2018 at 4:22 AM, Richard Owlett <rowlett at cloud85.net> wrote:

> On 06/18/2018 10:14 AM, Russell Senior wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jun 18, 2018 at 2:55 AM, Richard Owlett <rowlett at cloud85.net>
>> wrote:
>> [snip]
>>
>>> You say "USB Master-USB Master" cable.  Which one?
>>>>

>>> I didn't buy online but from local computer store.
>>> This page describes what I bought.
>>> https://www.castleproductshop.com/products/Plugable-Windows-
>>> Transfer-Cable-for-Windows-10-8-1-8-7-Vista-XP-Includes/588583685
>>>

>> The description says, in part:
>>
>> "Supported by Linux kernel 3.0 and later as a high-speed virtual network
>> interface, no special file transfer support."
>>
>> That implies the cable should provide a network interface to both sides.
>>
>> What happens when you plug it in?  Look in dmesg (near the bottom right
>> after you plug it in) and you should see something that implies a network
>> interface has been created.
>>

> I found /usr/share/bash-completion/completions/dmesg dated last year.
> It was not changed when I plugged or unplugged the cable.
> HOWEVER, MATE's Network Icon never showed completion.
> Am I looking in right place?

No, I mean run the dmesg command and look at the tail, something like this:

 # dmesg | tail -n 20

right after you have plugged in the cable.  The tail command prints only
the (in this case) last 20 lines of output.  If you want to see more, you
can pipe to less instead:

  # dmesg | less

... and you can scroll around.