[PLUG] [OT ? ?? ???] Linux and computer literacy

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Tue Jun 19 11:45:00 UTC 2018

Here is someone 10 years ago, using debian:

https://jonmccune.wordpress.com/2008/12/09/prolific-pl-25a1-usb-to-usb-bridge-in-linux/

What your distribution does (even if it is still Debian) might be different
today, but it looks like it creates a network interface (usbN, in this
case).  Again, your mileage might vary, but the dmesg output should tell
you what interface name is assigned.

You could also compare the output before and after plugging in the cable of
the command: ip addr

For example:

 ip addr > /tmp/before-plugging.txt
 [plug in device]
 ip addr > /tmp/after-plugging.txt
 diff -u /tmp/before-plugging.txt /tmp/after-plugging.txt

The difference should be the newly created network interface.