[PLUG] [OT ? ?? ???] Linux and computer literacy

Richard Owlett rowlett at cloud85.net
Tue Jun 19 13:46:48 UTC 2018

On 06/19/2018 06:45 AM, Russell Senior wrote:
> Here is someone 10 years ago, using debian:
>

> https://jonmccune.wordpress.com/2008/12/09/prolific-pl-25a1-usb-to-usb-bridge-in-linux/
>
> What your distribution does (even if it is still Debian) might be different
> today, but it looks like it creates a network interface (usbN, in this
> case).  Again, your mileage might vary, but the dmesg output should tell
> you what interface name is assigned.
>
> You could also compare the output before and after plugging in the cable of
> the command: ip addr
>
> For example:
>
>   ip addr > /tmp/before-plugging.txt
>   [plug in device]
>   ip addr > /tmp/after-plugging.txt
>   diff -u /tmp/before-plugging.txt /tmp/after-plugging.txt
>
> The difference should be the newly created network interface.

The output of the "diff" command was visually cluttered.
I found it easier to just run "ip addr" for each of my test cases. None
of the tests exceeded the display capability of MATE Terminal.

I have a four port USB expander. I did of one/both end(s) of cable
plugged in and using permutation of which port(s) used.

All results were of the form:
> 8: enp0s29u1u1u4: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast state UNKNOWN group default qlen 1000
>     link/ether 5a:29:e7:d9:d6:dd brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

ONLY
>  <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast state UNKNOWN group default qlen 1000
was consistent throughout.

All other content was dependent ONLY on physical port used.

More later.