[PLUG] Linux centralized authentication

Tyrell Jentink tyrell at jentink.net
Tue Jun 19 19:33:22 UTC 2018

Yeah, this was a struggle for me, too... Not just the forward domains, but
the reverse zones, too. It all required some thinking, and I think I'm
about to change some of it... But this is what I did at the get-go:

My domain name, let's use example.com, points at my public website, and my
FreeIPA domain is only accessible internally; I just don't have a need to
authenticate outside of the network.

Inside the network, I have three DNS servers... One is just a resolver on a
OPNSense firewall, and lives at 10.0.0.1. That isn't authoritative on any
domain.

The second is FreeIPA, lives at 10.42.1.10 and it serves the lin.example.com
subdomain and the 1.42.10.arpa reverse domain. It has a conditional
forwarder to forward requests under win.example.com to 10.42.2.10

The third is ActiveDirectory, serves the win.example.com subdomain and the
2.42.10.arpa reverse domain. It has a conditional forwarder to forward
requests under lin.example.com to 10.42.1.10.

Both of the authoritative servers point unresolved addresses to the
resolver at 10.0.0.1; It forwards to 1.1.1.1.

You run into problems if any given domain has two authoritative servers;
That is in both the forward and reverse domains, so you have to ensure that
each subdomain has a unique name -AND- a unique IP Address Space.

Does that set you on the right path, or do you need me to retry?