[PLUG] looking for secure space for a mail server

Michael Barnes barnmichael at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 16:24:15 UTC 2018

On Thu, Jun 21, 2018 at 7:41 AM, Michael Rasmussen <michael at michaelsnet.us>
wrote:

> On 2018-06-20 16:48, logical american wrote:
>
>> On Jun 18, 2018, at 1:38 PM, Michael Rasmussen<michael at michaelsnet.us>

>>> of running *a* mail server. We're trying to determine what the requirements
>>> of *his* mail server are, because that drives whether a physical server is
>>> required.
>>>
>>> There may be a security requirement such as "no AES key leakage to other
>>> tenants". In this case, he may not be able to use a VM. There are people in
>>> the crypto community who believe that any system that needs secure crypto
>>> should not be virtualized.
>>>
>> I need a secure crypto system, hence physical. Too much can go wrong
>> with a virtual system. Who really owns the virtual system? Not you!
>>

> The secure crypto requirement was not indicated in your original post.
> Provide incomplete requirements and get non-applicable replies.
>
> --
>       Michael Rasmussen, Portland Oregon
>      Be Appropriate && Follow Your Curiosity

Sadly, this seems to be a growing trend in online forums. The OP was
looking for information regarding leasing space for a physical server. That
was a pretty straightforward question. There were a ton of replies, not a
single one of which addressed his actual question. Instead, everyone wanted
to tell him how wrong he is for wanting what he wanted and give lots of
answers not applicable to his question. Why does everyone today
automatically leap to the conclusion that the person asking a question is
too stupid to know what he wants? The OP wants a physical server. I'm sure
he has his reasons. Who are we to questions his reasons? Why must we waste
bandwidth second guessing him? Can't we just sit back and watch and see if
someone actually has an answer that applies to his question?

This issue is not limited to this forum. I see it on many other interest
groups. You ask a question and get 27 answers, none of which actually
address the question. They tell you other ways to do it, tell you how they
fixed their Chevy when you asked about a Ford, why you are wrong to do what
you are asking without knowing the whole story, etc.

As far as the "Provide incomplete requirements and get non-applicable
replies." comment goes, he asked about physical hosting of a "small locked
cabinet (15U) space with 1 power plug 110v AC and a business class internet
connection." That seems pretty complete for his question. What that cabinet
does is not part of the question and frankly none of your business.

Why can't we stop overthinking things and just answer the question?

Michael