[PLUG] Application hijacks desktop

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Jun 21 21:32:41 UTC 2018

On Thu, 21 Jun 2018, John Jason Jordan wrote:

> I installed kodi, a media player that is designed to turn a computer
> into a media center. It has some interesting features so I'd like to
> use it now and then. But apparently it never occurred to the developers
> to add an option to run it in a window instead of full screen. When it
> launches it takes over the screen so I cannot do something else while
> watching a video. I spent an hour searching for a solution and came up
> empty-handed.

John,

   I don't know what window manger you're using, but I have a couple of
applications which initially opened to occupy the full screen. But, they use
the default window manager which has an icon (second from the right here,
next to the 'x' that closes the frame). This icon is an open square which
displays as two stacked squares in full screen mode. Clicking that shrinks
the frame to it's default (non-full screen) size. You can then resize it to
your desired dimensions. It should retain that configuration the next time
you open the application.

   If you want screen shots of the two icons I'll send them to you off the
mail list as attachments are rejected at the border.

   Try it and let us know the results.