[PLUG] [OT ? ?? ???] Linux and computer literacy

Richard Owlett rowlett at cloud85.net
Sat Jun 23 16:21:40 UTC 2018

On 06/20/2018 06:40 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:
> On 06/19/2018 11:10 AM, Galen Seitz wrote:
>  [*SNIP*]
>> Well, your Prolific PL25A1-based cable isn't just two Ethernet chips
>> back to back, but it's close.  It uses the same networking framework
>> as USB to Ethernet adapters.  Here's a bit of info on the driver.
>> This is as much for Russell as for you.
>> <https://cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/USB_USBNET.html>
>>
>> With both ends of the cable connected, please run the ip addr command
>> on one of your hosts and post the complete output.
>
> Will be in this afternoon's post.

I'm late.
But the delay has been educational.
Several times, when asked to run command XYZ, the response has been of
the general form "that response was not consistent with what was
previously posted about that command *AND/OR* what was reported for
command ABC".

I suspect several sources:
   1. cable does not respond in a expected fashion.
   2. the cable's response is dependent on which physical USB port used
   3. the cable's response is dependent in unexpected manner on which
      end of the cable is plugged in

I have preliminary/prototype script which will be run for about a dozen
permutations. I will run the same script using my WiFi hotspot as
comparison, it appears do things in an expected manner.

My prototype's outline is:

script
dmesg | tail -n 20

  lsusb -t

  lsusb -v

ifconfig -a

ip addr

ip link show

exit

For me to be able to retrieve the relevant info there will be liberal
use of the date command.

For redundancy I would like to also use the "time" reported in dmesg.
What should be my search term?