[PLUG] [OT ? ?? ???] Linux and computer literacy

Tyrell Jentink tyrell at jentink.net
Sat Jun 23 16:35:55 UTC 2018

On Sat, Jun 23, 2018, 09:23 Richard Owlett <rowlett at cloud85.net> wrote:

> On 06/20/2018 06:40 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:
> > On 06/19/2018 11:10 AM, Galen Seitz wrote:
> >  [*SNIP*]
> >> Well, your Prolific PL25A1-based cable isn't just two Ethernet chips
> >> back to back, but it's close.  It uses the same networking framework
> >> as USB to Ethernet adapters.  Here's a bit of info on the driver.
> >> This is as much for Russell as for you.
> >> <https://cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/USB_USBNET.html>
> >>
> >> With both ends of the cable connected, please run the ip addr command
> >> on one of your hosts and post the complete output.
> >
> > Will be in this afternoon's post.
> >

> I'm late.
> But the delay has been educational.
> Several times, when asked to run command XYZ, the response has been of
> the general form "that response was not consistent with what was
> previously posted about that command *AND/OR* what was reported for
> command ABC".

No... If I understand what you're getting at, that has been addressed, and
I was wrong... Everything looked plenty consistent, I just looked too
quickly.

OK, before you continue to get too far off track... Everything is perfect.
You have a network interface, dmesg told you it's name.

Now you can configure it like any other network interface. I assume you are
still using Debian? Here is their relevant documentation:
https://wiki.debian.org/NetworkConfiguration

You SHOULD even be able to do it in NetworkManager... Just set static IP
addresses on both sides.