[PLUG] [OT ? ?? ???] Linux and computer literacy

Richard Owlett rowlett at cloud85.net
Sat Jun 23 17:49:01 UTC 2018

On 06/23/2018 11:35 AM, Tyrell Jentink wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 23, 2018, 09:23 Richard Owlett <rowlett at cloud85.net> wrote:
>
>> On 06/20/2018 06:40 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:
>>> On 06/19/2018 11:10 AM, Galen Seitz wrote:
>>>   [*SNIP*]

>>> Will be in this afternoon's post.
>>>

>> I'm late.
>> But the delay has been educational.
>> Several times, when asked to run command XYZ, the response has been of
>> the general form "that response was not consistent with what was
>> previously posted about that command *AND/OR* what was reported for
>> command ABC".
>>

> No... If I understand what you're getting at, that has been addressed, and
> I was wrong... Everything looked plenty consistent, I just looked too
> quickly.
>
> OK, before you continue to get too far off track... Everything is perfect.
> You have a network interface, dmesg told you it's name.
>
> Now you can configure it like any other network interface. I assume you are
> still using Debian?

Yes, the current stable release (Stretch)

> Here is their relevant documentation:
> https://wiki.debian.org/NetworkConfiguration

*ARRRGH*!
I says in part:
> As of Stretch, the old network names like eth0, eth1 have gone away
> as the device name can change. The new names are similar to these:
> enp6s0, enp8s0, enp0s31f6, enp5s0.
It then ignores the issue and all examples in old style.

These are my commented results for running "ls /sys/class/net/".
Note that the only consistent characters are those indicated by "^".
Obviously there is some magical incantation to use it *no matter* where
it's plugged in.
I'm frustrated.

richard at debian-jan13:~$ # no wifi connected
richard at debian-jan13:~$  ls /sys/class/net/
enp0s25  lo

richard at debian-jan13:~$ # wifi in receptacle 1
richard at debian-jan13:~$  ls /sys/class/net/
enp0s25  enp0s29u1u1u1  lo
          ^^^^^^^

richard at debian-jan13:~$ # wifi in receptacle 4
richard at debian-jan13:~$  ls /sys/class/net/
enp0s25  enp0s29u1u1u4  lo
          ^^^^^^^

richard at debian-jan13:~$ # wifi back in 1