[PLUG] [OT ? ?? ???] Linux and computer literacy

wes plug at the-wes.com
Sun Jun 24 23:48:07 UTC 2018

On Sun, Jun 24, 2018 at 2:55 PM, Tyrell Jentink <tyrell at jentink.net> wrote:

> What are you even on about? It's a network device... "Gates and Company"
> uses a really complicated, error prone piece of crap sync software to do a
> one-time sync from a system running an old version of Windows to a system
> running a newer version of Windows... Linux can very very certainly
> outperform it... What we can't help you with is what you aren't explaining:

I haven't followed every detail of this thread, so I apologize if the
following is a repeat of some earlier post.

This is the device he's working with:

https://sewelldirect.com/usb2bridgecable
http://prolificusa.com/product/pl25a1-hi-speed-usb-host-host-bridge-controller/
http://www.prolific.com.tw/US/ShowProduct.aspx?pcid=43

I've just ordered one so I can play with it for a bit myself. Perhaps at
the next Linux Clinic, if we have time, we can invite Richard to
participate remotely.

I also found the following writeups of people doing similar things with
this device:

http://paulswasteland.blogspot.com/2014/01/getting-prolific-pl-2501-based-usb-to.html
https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-networking-3/host-to-host-cable%3B-no-usb0-779573/
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=131042

The last one suggests that it "just works" - the previous 3 are older and
talk about requiring a patch to a kernel module to get this cable to work.
We don't really know what Richard's particular situation is.

I do realize that network interfaces are created; however the lack of
autoconfig and the "state UNKNOWN" worry me. He should at least be getting
a self-generated 169.254 address.

I also realize it can be frustrating when advice is offered to someone and
they ask the same question again as if you hadn't said anything in the
first place. Usually I find in these cases that it comes from the other
person misunderstanding the advice. I do this not infrequently, though now
that I'm familiar with this behavioral quirk, I will admit to it. If this
is so frustrating to you that you feel the need to become cross about it, I
would have to suggest that you decline to reply further. Others are likely
to take up the baton in your place. This is a group effort, after all.

-wes