[PLUG] [OT ? ?? ???] Linux and computer literacy

wes plug at the-wes.com
Mon Jun 25 16:05:56 UTC 2018

On Mon, Jun 25, 2018 at 6:43 AM, Richard Owlett <rowlett at cloud85.net> wrote:

> On 06/24/2018 06:48 PM, wes wrote:
>
>> [snip]
>>
>> I've just ordered one so I can play with it for a bit myself. Perhaps at
>> the next Linux Clinic, if we have time, we can invite Richard to
>> participate remotely.
>>

> Should be "educational" ;/
> I know of the existence of software, but have never attempted using.
> What software is used? Is there a good tutorial for someone coming to it
> cold?

What do you normally use to copy files? Probably something similar to that.

>> I also found the following writeups of people doing similar things with
>> this device:
>>
>> http://paulswasteland.blogspot.com/2014/01/getting-prolific-
>> pl-2501-based-usb-to.html
>> https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-networking-3/
>> host-to-host-cable%3B-no-usb0-779573/
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/516923
>> https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=131042
>>
>> The last one suggests that it "just works" - the previous 3 are older and
>> talk about requiring a patch to a kernel module to get this cable to work.
>> We don't really know what Richard's particular situation is.
>>

> The last one triggered some searches and following a mish-mash of links.
> I saw multiple mention of "USBNET" but I don't any Debian references
> although the are Ubuntu related links.
>
> When searching Synaptic separately for Avahi and zeroconf I do have
> several modules installed. Am I missing a particular module. I'm currently
> running Debian 9 but don't have the DVD set. I have a Debian 8 set and will
> do a less minimalist install.
>
> I also suspect that I need to use an older version to math what various
> references were using. I suspect that change of device naming conventions
> is muddying the waters - I've DVD sets going back to Squeeze.

You can probably avoid that requirement by configuring the network
interfaces manually, assuming there is not some missing piece of the puzzle
here. I haven't yet seen you attempt that and report results (maybe I
missed it).

-wes