[PLUG] SANE not quite easy

Dick Steffens dick at dicksteffens.com
Wed Jun 27 14:04:50 UTC 2018

On 06/26/2018 06:37 PM, Michael Rasmussen wrote:
> I've acquired an Epson V500 flatbed scanner. After immediate install of
> xsane and the Epson iscan drivers scanning does not work.  I've added
> myself to the scanner group and done a bit of unproductive googling.

Some years ago I used an Epson Perfection 600, which connects via SCSI.
I had some trouble with xsane when I first tried to  use it and found my
way to the a mailing list that Oliver Rauch, the writer and maintainer,
monitored. He replied to my question and told me I needed some file (I
think), which he supplied. After installing the file xsane worked fine.
I haven't used it lately, but the last time I tried it, it scanned to a
smaller output. I have another scanner and didn't have time to pursue it
further.My scanner is quite old (1990s, bought for Windows 95), which
makes it somewhat obscure, but based on my previous experience, I would
expect good results from that mailing list.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens