[PLUG] SANE not quite easy - Resolution

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Wed Jun 27 11:54:33 PDT 2018

There is a guy in Seattle named Andrew Filer, who I met in a
then-hackerspace called Metrix:Create who modified a Kodak Carousel
projector in such a way as to backlight the slides (reduced wattage of the
bulb, replaced the heat shield with frosted glass), basically used the
projector as a slide advancing robot, removed the lens, and aimed a digital
SLR with a macro lens back at the slide and photographed the slide.  With
some simple transistor circuits, you could automate the camera's shutter
release and the slide advance.  You could do a whole tray of slides in a
few minutes with very little supervision.

You need a digital SLR and a macro lens, preferably one with autofocus (as
I discovered).  But orders of magnitude less tedious than a flatbed scanner
where you manually loaded slides into a holder, 12 at a time.

On Wed, Jun 27, 2018 at 11:09 AM, Denis Heidtmann <denis.heidtmann at gmail.com