[PLUG] When missing backround matters.

Richard Owlett rowlett at cloud85.net
Thu Jun 28 11:17:25 UTC 2018

During my "USB to USB Cable" threads I said I was missing "something".

In a totally unrelated thread I came across "journalctl". I tried it to
see if it could tell me anything useful. I suspect it can.

Indirectly it has.

It reports human readable time data. I asked "How can this be matched
against the output of dmesg?" That led to re-reading dmesg man page thus
discovering "dmesg --time-format iso".

The journalctl man page is long on very fine gain detail, BUT short on
practical usage. Looked for details. Link to links linked to
   [https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-lpic1-map/].

Useful info also at
   [http://www.lpi.org/our-certifications/exam-101-objectives/]
and
   [http://www.lpi.org/our-certifications/exam-102-objectives/]

Browsing the tutorials has already given suggestions for tools which
help me communicate better.

I've *MUCH* reading to do.
Hope these links might be helpful to others.