[PLUG] Problems installing MariaDB

Richard Owlett rowlett at cloud85.net
Fri Jun 29 16:36:26 UTC 2018

I have not used a relational database since dBASEII was current.
About a year ago I attempted to install MariaDB but didn't find a
tutorial which was a close enough match to my system.

I use Debian 9 with MATE.

I found:
    https://www.tecmint.com/install-mariadb-in-debian/
    https://www.linode.com/docs/databases/mariadb/mariadb-setup-debian/

Using the official Debian repository:
    apt-get install software-properties-common
    apt-get install mariadb-server mariadb-client

There seemed to be no problems.

*BUT* both references auto-magically go to a GUI setup screen.

It was suggested in another forum that I (as root) do:
    dpkg-reconfigure debconf
    dpkg-reconfigure mariadb-server

The first appeared to run.
The second did nothing. No warnings. No error messages. Just returned to
prompt.

Ideas.
TIA