[PLUG] Which CPU

Bill Weiss pdxlinux at houdini.spum.us
Fri Mar 2 14:42:15 UTC 2018

Chuck Hast(wchast at gmail.com)@Fri, Mar 02, 2018 at 08:17:28AM -0600:
> Folks,
> I have a Shuttle SH67H3, it has an i5 CPU on it. Of course it has been
> around
> for a while, but I keep on thinking, why get a new one when perhaps putting
> i7 on it will give me some more speed.
>
> I have looked at i7 processors but not sure exactly which of the bunch to
> get.
>
> Here is the info on the board:
>
> *Specs:*
> *Processor:* Intel Core i7, i5, i3 LGA1155 socket 95W max support (Sandy
> Bridge or Ivy Bridge)
> *Chipset:* Intel H67
> *Memory:* DDR3 1333 MHz support RAM Socket * 4, Dual channels support up to
> 32 GB total (8GB*4)
> *VGA:* Integrated in CPU
> *Slots:* (1) PCIE x 16, (1) PCIE x 1
> *Audio:* Realtek ALC888 7.1 channel High Definition Audio
> *Ethernet:* Realtek RTL 8111E 10/100/1GB
> *Storage Interface:* (2) SATA 3GB,(2) SATA 6GB
>
> I am trying to figure out what will be a drop in i7 replacement for the i5.

You should be able to drop any LGA1155-socketed processor in there.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100007671%20600095610
shows you what's for sale there in that socket. It looks like you could
stuff a i7-3770K in there?

That said, what's your existing processor? That might not be a huge
upgrade for the $500. If you had the i5-3470 you'd be getting
hyperthreading, 300 MHz, a little more L3 cache, and better onboard
graphics.

--
Bill Weiss