[PLUG] Question for the sysops -- IoT devices and email

tim at wescottdesign.com tim at wescottdesign.com
Sun Mar 4 19:37:51 UTC 2018

If I sold you an IoT device that sent email, how would you want it to do
so?

I'm looking for the ideal compromise between minimum work programming
the thing, reliably getting emails to people who need them (i.e., not
getting caught in spam traps), and not asking the IT people at the
organization where the thing is installed to poke Great Big Holes in
their firewalls.

The command:

echo I can send mail from the Linux command line! | mail -s "This is a
mail message" -t timwescott0 at gmail.com

works when the underlying mail system is configured to claim that it's
sending from tim at wescottdesign.com -- but (A) if I send it to
tim at wescottdesign.com it gets caught in a spam trap at a low enough
level that I can't even find it in my filters, and (B) it just seems too
easy.

This is all with the heirloom-mailx package in Ubuntu 16.04.