[PLUG] Which CPU

Chuck Hast wchast at gmail.com
Sun Mar 4 21:19:18 UTC 2018

Windows?? In a VM when necessary.
All of my machines are running Linux, all of them are Ubuntu Mate 16.04.
I do use Compiz. But it does not seem to load things that bad, I got used to
the cube a long time ago, so I will have several things running at the same
time on each desktop (face of the cube)

Usually the two biggest loaders are LibreOffice and the web browser when I
have a whole bunch of tabs open and some of them have pretty dynamic
content which eats up memory and cpu. Another one that can eat up speed
is Gimp.

As far as monitoring things I have Gkrellm running on one side of the
screen,
and if something seems to be really messing things up I open up a console
and look at things with htop.

I think that the biggest issue is with Chrome, it seems to be the one that
will
get into trouble with some web pages that all of a sudden cause a peak in
CPU demand.

I can go to one of the laptops both of which are running i7 and do the same
thing, net result is the barrel through with no issues,

I am going to get an i5, I have already planned on a SSD for the machine so
I will just get the i5 and put it in. Move it all to the new SSD and see
what
happens.

On the laptops the SSD loads so fast that the usual screen loads of boot
screens go by so fast that at times they are not even seen. At times I get
a glimpse of text going by so fast on the screen that is is just a blur. So
know that I have to at least get to that point.

I think I have enough solid info to point me in the direction of the i5 and
SSD,
that should get me in better shape. I will also bring the memory up to 16g.

I find it a challenge to make older equipment continue to do a good job, in
this
case I see no reason to replace the whole machine when perhaps some simple
upgrades will do the job.  And I can keep some stuff in service and out of
the
recycler or hardware dump.

Again thank you all for the great info. I am open to any other observations
or
ideas so keep them coming.

Miss the NW but do we have some great skies here in "fly over country".