[PLUG] Question for the sysops -- IoT devices and email

tim at wescottdesign.com tim at wescottdesign.com
Sun Mar 4 22:52:51 UTC 2018

On 2018-03-04 13:11, Mke C> wrote:
> On 03/04/2018 11:52 AM, plug-request at pdxlinux.org wrote:
>> If I sold you an IoT device that sent email, how would you want it to
>> do
>> so?
>>
>> I'm looking for the ideal compromise between minimum work programming
>> the thing, reliably getting emails to people who need them (i.e., not
>> getting caught in spam traps), and not asking the IT people at the
>> organization where the thing is installed to poke Great Big Holes in
>> their firewalls.
> I don't see any biz opportunity in this at this point. Allow me to
> enumerate why.
>
> 1. Cloud/ISP based email is ubiquitous, easy and free.
>
> 2. Most people wouldn't get why they'd want to pay for such a thing.
> Even someone like myself who's very security/privacy conscious can use
> free/donation based options like ProtonMail, Riseup.net, Signal, etc.
> All of these services encrypt user content so they can't even read it
> and maintain minimum or no identifying info and won't turn over.
>
> 3. There are also plenty of Open Source email server virtual machines.
> Companies are rapidly virtualizing and free personal virtualization is
> sure to follow.
>
> 4. The email server itself isn't the tricky bit.
> I've done a bit of email server admin, both on Linux and M$. How
> "reliable email" works is a messy & complicated affair and never
> inspired me in anyway to want to have a personal email server.
>
> Don't forget that each email server would've to have a registered
> domain. That's not free. And there's DKIM and SFP records for
> validation.
>
> If something goes a wry and the email server is comprised and/or
> blacklisted that'll be a customer service nightmare.
>
> That's my take on it all. I'm curious if you see this differently.

Not a device that lets YOU send email -- a device that sends you email
when it needs attention (i.e., it fails a built-in-test, or it's out of
feedstock, or whatever).

Are you a sysop?  Do you have to take care of IoT devices (nuclear
plants, toilet bowl cleaner dispensers, that sort of thing) that send
notifications?  If not, you're not in my targeted knowledge pool.